Open Letters

How To Beat Procrastination | Confession

October 14, 2017
procrastination

If it wasn’t for procrastination I would have accomplished a lot in my life and I would probably be posting 3 days a week or every day!

I had to go right to the intro para before I decided tomorrow would be a good day to write about procrastination than today! 🙂

So, how is everyone doing? 🙂 Is October treating you right? For, me it is a two-way process. If I treat her bad then I have to expect a payback and vice versa.

I have been struggling with procrastination for a very long time! Even when I was at school, I would have an assignment due in a week but I would start working on it 2 days to deadline, not that I was too busy to do it but because I was too good at saying “Aaah, I will do this later” and you guessed it, later never comes!

And when the deadline is having me run 3 miles while I can only manage 1, I swear to myself never to do it again! I promise myself, next time I will do it right away and well, it never happens!

So, it turns to be a vicious circle! The circle that I can’t handle now that I am an adult with goals to reach and no one is here to push me to do things, no one is setting a deadline for me, no one will question me, more like, I take control of my life and adulting is no joke!

Something had to be done to make sure I rock at the adulting stuff and be the person I want to and achieve as much as I possibly can. Here are some of the things I do to stay on top of things:

1. Call yourself out (How to be a Bawse reference) 🙂

Well, the very first thing you can do is to realize and accept the fact that you are a procrastinator and be ready to commit yourself to changing that and achieving more in life! They say the more you resist something the more you give it power. So once you look the problem in the face and admit that it is there it is the very first step to beating it!

In the process, don’t be too hard on yourself and regret all the things you couldn’t do simply because you were procrastinating, now that you know better it is never too late. Stay positive and know that you can change, I mean anybody can change if they want to.

procrastination

1. Set goals + deadlines

There is no way you can achieve anything if you have no idea what you want to achieve in the first place! So, take that notebook/diary or anything really that you can write what you want to do. In this to goal list/to do list start with most important things that you must do and finish up with less important things. Be sure to start small, go step by step and you finish a task.

Be sure to set time in each goal, you have to state exactly how long you are planning on spending doing a task otherwise you might spend the whole day with an excuse that you are busy working on one thing, we both know you are procrastinating while trying to beat procrastination, I know this because I was that person!

This is what Harvey Mackay meant when he said a dream is just a dream. A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

1. Define your working space

Our working environment has so much impact on how we feel about ourselves and how productive we can be! I have realized that when my desk is unorganized I tend to procrastinate, a lot! So, I clean up my desk to how I like it to have an empty space with a few things that I need to allow my mind to think clearly, play some music and this has helped me a lot to stop procrastination.

Find out what works for you and do that!

procrastination

1. Start even when you are not ready (Take action)

Okay, procrastinator to procrastinator, we both know how good we are at finding reasons not to do something! Sometime back before I decided to change, I would seat down ready to work but then I will remember about that apple I have in my fridge will go take it get back on my chair saying “let’s do this”!

But then before I even start I remember about that message I didn’t reply from two days ago and then I will go on Instagram and you know what happens there when you start scrolling, 5 hours later I haven’t done anything! And you know what comes next? I hate myself for being lazy and swear it won’t happen again and yet, somehow it happens all the time!

To put an end to this, I started to jump right into doing something even when I am not ready! Without giving myself a chance to over think and find ways to procrastinate. The funny thing is that 15 minutes later I am like, ‘ooh, this was easy than I thought’ and in the process, I fall in love with a task, feel good about myself and then I made it a habit since then! We procrastinate sometimes not because we are lazy but because we are scared of starting a task, back in our mind we think we might fail. So, just do it!

procrastination

1. Celebrate every small victory

As I mentioned here that adding something you enjoy into the very end of your to-do list helps you focus on finishing up your tasks so you can enjoy that one episode of the good place or that movie you have been eying on.

When you this you are somehow forcing your mind not to procrastinate because at the end of it there is something good to enjoy.

You know it feels good when you have a tick on each task, your mind feels much better, you don’t have anything to feel bad about and the funny thing about our mind is that when it associates itself with some pleasure it tends to be more productive on anything that feels like “pleasure”!  So, trick your mind into loving what you do and you will always be productive!

1. Publicize your goals

Not like publically announce your goals, no, I mean, for me I choose someone to tell about my goals and when exactly I want to achieve them. This helps because I like winning, I really do! So, when I tell you I am going to do this and that I am committing myself to that, because, yes, who likes to be perceived as a failure? No one!

So, choose a person that will help you to be accountable for your action, trust me your mind will scare away from procrastinating and it will help you achieve your goals.

life

1. Reflect

Reflect on yourself. Ask some tough questions like are you doing as good as you want to? Is there anything you can do better? is there anything you want to change? Is there anything you want to do differently?

There is always a room for improvement and reflecting on yourself helps you do exactly that. But don’t be hard on yourself in the process. Applause yourself if there is something that you gave your best.

Just do it even when you are not ready! You got this.

Don’t wait; the time will never be just right. Napoleon Hill.

How do you beat procrastination? Let’s talk in the comment section below.

Until next time,

Jane 🙂

pinit fg en rect red 28 - How To Beat Procrastination | Confession

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

• Reply 5 Ways to Manage Time | The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari - Daily Life Talk November 8, 2017 at 6:57 am

[…] you guys know I have been struggling with procrastination and lucky me I found ways to beat it and now I am doing pretty well. But then the struggle comes when I have to manage my […]

• Reply Chrissy October 18, 2017 at 12:54 am

Number four hits home pretty hard. I’m a perfectionist by nature, and there have been many occasions where I didn’t want to do something because I didn’t think I was ready for it. I’m still working on it, but here’s to overcoming procrastination! x

• Reply Candy October 17, 2017 at 7:10 pm

Calling myself out and finding a workspace is something I really need to work on. I tend to start my day writing on the couch and it can easily get too comfortable. Thanks for all the helpful tips!

• Reply Sheree October 17, 2017 at 6:16 pm

I struggle with procrastination as well! I have definitely found that making lists helps me to accomplish what I need to do. It can be so tempting to put everything off, but it is very important to get stuff done!

~xo Sheree
    PoshClassyMom.com

• Reply Tisha October 17, 2017 at 5:55 pm

Great tips! I think ultimately it all comes down to having a lot of self-discipline and passion behind your goals!

• Reply Candace October 17, 2017 at 5:04 pm

I have a work space, but I need to learn how to actually use it. I always end up working from bed or the sofa and as a result, I always end up procrastinating. You shared some really great tips on not procrastinating! I hope you feel better soon too babe 🙂

• Reply Shasha October 17, 2017 at 4:47 pm

I’m so guilty of being a procrastinator. In the last few months, I’ve made an effort to try to combat it, since it only hurts me in the long run. I love your suggestions but especially your tip on starting even when you aren’t ready to take action. It really makes a huge difference to at least get started on something. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one struggling with it, and your tips are so helpful. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Lana October 17, 2017 at 4:15 pm

Such a great tips! Thank you! I am a huge procrastinator by myself so I feel you.
    I totally agree with you, first of all it is very important to set goals and deadlines, to make a plan. And working space is so important (at least for me), I can concentrate better and do more!

• Reply Cristina October 17, 2017 at 11:11 am

I really think it’s a problem for all at a certain point in our lives. This is why this article is so useful and remarkable!

• Reply Lauren Atkins October 17, 2017 at 10:48 am

Procrastination is something I struggle with too! I think I like the take action even when you are not ready tip listed here, when you are forced to do something then you are suddenly ready and capable x

• Reply Francesca Denney October 17, 2017 at 9:36 am

I’m an awful procrastinator too! I always take a cold shower to sharpen my mind and invigorate myself but sometimes I still have to force myself to get stuff done!! I love these tips ☺️

Frankii @ quitefranklii
    X

• Reply Sylvia October 17, 2017 at 6:18 am

I have been struggling with this Ionger than I can remember. It’s something I have to fight and I will. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely work on myself.

• Reply Cissy October 17, 2017 at 5:51 am

Thank you for sharing this! I do struggle with procrastination all the time… this is going to be so helpful for sure

• Reply Adine @ Average To Awesome October 17, 2017 at 5:34 am

Thanks for the great tips! I’m getting a bit better at beating procrastination, but I really still have a hard time creating and following a planning. That’s on my ‘learn’ list though…

• Reply Leanne Brookes October 16, 2017 at 4:30 pm

I know of procrastination all too well! I was the same in school/university. I’d leave everything until the last minute and then it would be a mad rush to get it in on time. I bet I would have got way better grades if I learned how to procrastinate less. Great tips here, because I’m still the same! thanks for sharing x

• Jane
      Reply Jane October 17, 2017 at 5:06 am

Procrastination is no joke, I agree, if we all learn how to procrastinate less we can achieve a lot in our lives. Thanks for reading, Leanne 🙂

• Reply Laila October 16, 2017 at 2:36 am

Great post! October and even some of September haven’t been great for me. I have been really sick, which has made it difficult to find the energy to get things done but my biggest problem is procrastinating. For me I know what I need to do but being new to blogging and only one person, well, the laundry list of things that need to be done becomes mentally overwhelming. This post is similar to one I wrote (https://lailalaurson.wordpress.com/2017/08/31/11-tips-to-help-get-you-blogging/). Procrastination can be hard to push through but I think you offer great tips to combat it. It is definitely something that can be overcome. Some days are better than others, of course and your right you can’t be too hard on yourself. I try to wake up with purpose and accomplish something for the day and hope to do more the next, especially on days where I’m not up for doing much, but it was nice to read that I’m not the only one that hits these moments of procrastination.

• Jane
      Reply Jane October 17, 2017 at 5:09 am

I am so sorry to hear that you have been so sick, Laila. I hope you are feeling better. Procrastination can really be hard to push through especially on the “meh” days. Ooh yes, you are not the only one, dear! We are all struggling to better ourselves. I will go have a look at the post, I can learn more from it. Thank you for stopping by 🙂